Sunday, 21 August 2011

AFC Totton 4-0 Swindon Supermarine, 20/08/11 3:15pm


The kick off for this match was delayed by 15 minutes after Swindon Supermarine arrived late due to heavy traffic on the A34. Swindon lost both their opening games 2-0 before the visit to the Testwood Stadium today. Brackley Town scored two late goals on the opening day to beat Swindon on their own turf, while Totton's fellow South & West Division promotion winners Frome Town continued their winning start to the season as they triumphed in the midweek fixture.

Totton could have been ahead in this one very early when James Coutts, making his first start for the club, crossed to the far post and Michael Charles thought he'd scored, but his point blank header was somehow kept out by Swindon keeper Kent Kauppinen and cleared to safety. Tom Baddeley then ventured forward and after Charles' cross was cleared, the ball fell to Baddeley who's low shot from distance was well wide of the goal.

Marine had their first shot on target when Danny Urry's curled effort went straight into the arms of Grant Porter. 5 minutes later Coutts had a pot-shot from 25 yards that Kauppinen was right behind. Totton didn't have it all their own way though, and Swindon were soon on the attack again. Mitchell Bryant beat Nathan Campbell for pace as they both chased a long ball from the back and delivered a cross that Urry couldn't quite connect with as he stretched to try and turn the ball in, and it rolled wide for a goal kick.

Coutts must have thought he'd given Totton the lead when, after Michael Charles' shot was parried by Kauppinen, the ball fell to him on the edge of the box and his deflected shot was cleared off the line. Moments later Coutts was at it again, this time Kauppinen was well behind his curled shot from 18 yards. Tom Baddeley then picked up a booking for a foul on Alex Allard. Just before half time Mike Gosney had his first real chance of the afternoon when Coutts picked him out in the box but his shot on the volley was high over the bar.

Half time: AFC Totton 0-0 Swindon Supermarine

Within 5 minutes of the restart, Totton were on the attack. Gosney's cross found Charles at the back post but his header from a tight angle was into the side netting. Stefan Brown then made a chance for himself when he brought down Tom Baddeley's long pass and cut inside, but his shot was always rising and flew over the bar. It was then hard to believe Swindon weren't in front after a free kick into the box resulted in pinball, with Marine having 4 shots blocked in a matter of seconds before the ball was eventually cleared to safety.

Soon after though, it was the same scenario at the other end of the pitch. From a corner, Totton had 4 or 5 shots on goal blocked or saved before Swindon were able to get rid of the danger. Porter then did well to palm away a shot from distance as Swindon continued to threaten to end Totton's clean sheet start to the season. It wasn't long though before the deadlock was finally broken, and it was Totton who were in front. Carl Pettefer played a superb diagonal pass out wide to Gosney on the left wing and he cut inside one defender before placing his shot inside the near post. Swindon got the game started again, lost the ball and conceded a penalty, all in the space of 60 seconds. Gosney stepped up to take it, but Swindon's man of the match, Kent Kauppinen, kept them in the game by plunging to his right to push Gosney's effort round the post for a corner.

Totton didn't have to wait long to double their advantage though. Jon Davies did well to keep possession in the box before sending a header over to Nathaniel Sherborne who finished expertly with an overhead scissor kick into the bottom corner. The Stag Army were in fine voice and soon they had even more reason to sing when a Ryan Hill free kick right on the edge of the area was parried by Kauppinen and Sherborne was the first to react as he dived in to send the ball past the keeper for 3-0. And with a minute left on the clock Sherborne sent the home support into raptures once more when he unleashed a powerful shot to send the ball sailing into the roof of the net to complete his hattrick.

Full time: AFC Totton 4-0 Swindon Supermarine

Totton maintain a 100% start to the season, with a record of: Won 3, Scored 12, Conceded 0. It took a long time to get the first goal but as soon as it came, the floodgates opened and were it not for Gosney's penalty miss, and the fine form of Swindon goalkeeper Kent Kauppinen, it could have been a lot more than 4-0. Come to think of it, when was the last time Gosney missed a penalty? Answers on a postcard, please. Our next game is this Tuesday away at Hemel Hempstead for a 7:45pm kick off.

AFC Totton: Porter, Hill, Richardson, Campbell, Baddeley, Davies (Abe 83 mins), Pettefer (C), Coutts, Gosney, Charles (Sherborne 57), Brown (Osman 80). Unused subs: Lewis, Oldring.

Swindon Supermarine: Kauppinen, Allard, Robinson, Etheridge, Beeden, Bampton (C) (Cole 29), Wells, Morris (Dean 80), Bryant (Edenborough 61), Bohane, Urry. Unused subs: Allen, Wood.

Goals: AFC Totton: Gosney (73), Sherborne (Hattrick 77, 82, 90).

Officials: Referee: Mr J Pike. Assistants: Mr B Small & Mr C Nzenga.

Attendance: 252.

No comments:

Post a Comment