Monday, 21 November 2011

Bedford Town 1-2 AFC Totton, 19/11/11 3pm


On the back of Totton's 3-1 win away at Frome Town in midweek, we travelled to Bedford for the 3rd away league game in a row. A goal from Mark Osman and a Stefan Brown brace got Totton back to winning ways in the league in that game. Bedford lost their last game 1-0 at home against Hemel Hempstead Town.

Bedford had the first real chance to score after 7 minutes when a header from a corner was cleared off the line by Jon Davies. 2 minutes later Davies was doing the business at the other end of the pitch. Nathaniel Sherborne got away from the defender marking him to race away down the left. His cross was just behind Stefan Brown but Davies was running on to meet it and his shot across goal wasn't far wide.

With a quarter of an hour gone Totton threatened again. Mike Gosney's cross from the by-line towards the far post was headed back across goal by Davies but the ball was cleared. Bedford were then denied by Grant Porter when he held a powerful header from a corner.

Just past the half-hour mark Totton came close once more. Gosney crossed to Sherborne and his header was parried by Bedford keeper Ian Brown. The ball came back to Stefan Brown whose shot was blocked, and the ball finally landed at the feet of Sherborne who dragged his shot wide.

Totton finally made the breakthrough on 37 minutes. Sherborne had a shot blocked and as he chased the rebound he was brought down by Bedford defender Gavin Hoyte. A familiar sight for Stags fans this season, the referee pointed to the spot for a penalty and Gosney duly obliged by finding the bottom corner, despite Ian Brown getting both hands on the shot as it found it's way in.

With the half time whistle imminent, both sides came close to getting the second goal of the game. First, Bedford saw a header go over the bar from a corner, then Totton were denied by Ian Brown when Gosney broke through the defence.

Half time: Bedford Town 0-1 AFC Totton

The fans barely had time to blink at the start of the second half before Bedford grabbed an equaliser. Jermaine Hall collected the ball on the edge of the box and slammed a hard, low shot across goal and into the bottom corner.

Bedford were only on level terms for 10 minutes before goalkeeper Ian Brown brought down Gosney in the box and Totton were awarded yet another penalty. Gosney, having won the penalty, dusted himself down to send Brown the wrong way and restore The Stags' advantage.

Before too long, Bedford were level again. Or so they thought. Grant Porter was beaten by a shot through a packed penalty area that was destined for the back of the net before an offside Bedford player, for some reason, decided to have the last touch on the ball to help it over the line. The home fans' celebrations were short-lived.

With 15 minutes remaining, Carl Pettefer shot wide from the edge of the box. Bedford then saw an effort whistle past the post as they searched for an equaliser that just wouldn't materialise. Gosney came close to extending Totton's lead when his 25-yard free kick was narrowly wide of the post 10 minutes from time.

As the clock ticked down, Totton tried to waste time by holding the ball in the corner and won a succession of throw-ins and corners that they used to waste a bit more time. When the ball eventually found itself in the box, Stefan Brown tried his luck from a difficult angle and his shot was closer than it looked as it flew wide.

Bedford then went up the other end and won a free kick which was headed wide as they looked to punish Totton's time-wasting tactics with a late leveller. The equaliser never came though, and Totton could have put the result beyond doubt late on when substitute Mark Osman broke through the Bedford defence, but Ian Brown raced off his lane to block the shot and turn it behind for a corner, which came to nothing.

Full time: Bedford Town 1-2 AFC Totton

This was a hard-earned victory for Totton who seemed to start trying to run down the clock a tad too early and could have paid the price as Bedford threw everything at them in the last 10 minutes. The Stags have been awarded 10 penalties already this season, including the 2 in this game, scoring 9 and missing only one in the 4-0 league win over Swindon Supermarine. From 3 away league games in a row, Totton have got 7 points out of 9 with a 0-0 draw at Redditch, a 3-1 win at Frome and today's 2-1 win. Our next game is Tuesday 22nd November at home against Poole Town in the Red Insure Cup 2nd round, where a limited number of vouchers to get a ticket for the FA Cup game against Bristol Rovers will be distributed to those attending the game.

Bedford Town: Brown, Cooper, Simpson, Darby, Hoyte, Thorne, Price (Damon 83), York, Hall, Roberts, Cole. Unused subs: Ivy, Ekins, Kavanagh.

AFC Totton: Porter, Sampson, Richardson, Campbell, Baddeley, Davies (McKie 89), Pettefer, Scott (Whisken 64), Gosney, Sherborne (Osman 77), Brown. Unused subs: Coutts, Jack.

Bedford: Hall (46)
Totton: Gosney (37 pen, 56 pen)

Officials: Referee: Mr S Rea. Assistants: Mr A Stevens & Mr I Jempeji.

Attendance: 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment