Thursday, 7 April 2011

AFC Totton 9-0 Andover 05/04/2011 7:45pm

Recent form
Totton: WWWWWL
Andover: LLWLLL

Totton welcomed Andover to the Testwood Stadium on tuesday evening for a top vs bottom-of-the-league clash. Both teams went into the game on the back of defeats. Totton suffered a shock 1-0 defeat away at 5th from bottom Abingdon United. A 20th minute winner from Aaron Parfitt was enough as Abingdon then 'parked the bus' for the rest of the game despite constant Totton pressure. Andover spent saturday afternoon losing 4-0 at home to Bridgwater Town. Goals from Lewis Irish, Josh Turner, Graham Mercieca and Matt Townley condemning Andover to their 16th home defeat of the season.

Onto tuesday then, and Totton started on the back foot as Andover had an early, tame effort on goal easily gathered by Grant Porter. The Stags quickly got themselves back in the game and after a few half chances, took the lead on 11 minutes through Stefan Brown. 6 minutes later and Totton had the game won. Nathaniel Sherborne and Mike Gosney scored within a minute of each other to make it 3-0, then Gosney made it 4 from the penalty spot on 20 minutes. Gosney completed his hattrick after 36 minutes, then added a personal fourth, and Totton's sixth, 2 minutes later courtesy of another penalty. Not to be outdone, Stefan Brown scored twice in the last 5 minutes of the first half to complete his own hattrick.

Half time: AFC Totton 8-0 Andover

In the second half, Totton were guilty of spurning several golden opportunities to extend their lead. In the first 20 minutes of the second half the Stags should have been into double figures. Gosney, Sherborne and Brown were all guilty of missing the target when it seemed easier to score. The rest of the second half followed the same pattern. Andover rarely got out of their own half and never looked like scoring, while Totton continued to pepper Josh Barnett's goal without reward. When it seemed as if Totton had used up their entire goal allowance for this game in the first half, substitute Mark Osman slotted home number 9 in the last minute of the game. There was still time for Gosney and Osman to miss chances to give the scoreline an even more impressive look, (if that were possible), before the referee finally put Andover out of their misery.

Full time: AFC Totton 9-0 Andover.

Next up for the Stags, the penultimate home game of the season when Hungerford Town visit the Testwood Stadium on saturday, while Andover travel to playoff contenders Frome Town knowing that anything other than a win will see them relegated.

AFC Totton                                      Andover

Grant Porter                                     Josh Barnett
Aidan Lewis                                     Mark Keogh
Jamie Whisken                               Curtis Angell
Ian Richardson                                Lee Burch (Off)
Michael Green                                 Iain Calder
Ryan Scott                                      Craig Davis (C)
Carl Pettefer (C)                             James Powell 
Jonathan Davies (Off)                    Chris Onoufriou
Mike Gosney                                  Chris Brookman 
Nathaniel Sherborne  (Off)             Lee Bowen (Off)
Stefan Brown                                 Claudio Herbert (Off)

Subs                                               Subs
Mark Osman (On)                          Andrew Darnton
Michael Charles                              Martin Harris (On)
Sean Hankin                                   Craig Blakeman (On)
Tom Price (On)                              Luke Soulby (On)
Nathan Campbell

Goals:  Brown (11, 41, 44), Sherborne (16), Gosney (17, 20 pen, 36, 38 pen), Osman (90).

Referee: Mr J Flynn.
Assistants: Mr R Carlisle & Mr K Barnett.

Attendance: 252.

No comments:

Post a Comment