Monday, 19 September 2011

FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round: AFC Totton 2-0 Fleet Town, 17/09/11 3pm


Totton took a break from league duty this week as Fleet Town visited the Testwood Stadium for an FA Cup 1st qualifying round tie. Fleet got to this round after beating Alton Town 4-3 in the last preliminary round. Before kick off there was a presentation on the pitch as James Fallon, who owns Totton's new shirt sponsor, Beaumont Water Heaters, was presented to the crowd and posed for a photo with a shirt with the new logo on it. Stuart Ritchie fielded a strong team in this game with the only change from the victory at St Albans in midweek being Jon Davies coming back into midfield in the place of James Coutts, who dropped to the bench.

Fleet began the game with a free kick 25 yards out that was well over the bar. Soon after and Totton threatened at the other end. From a corner, Sherborne got his head on the ball but was denied by an excellent save from Andy Bayliss to turn it behind, and from the second corner Campbell's effort was wide of the post. Mike Gosney then provided Sherborne with a great chance to open the scoring when his low cross just evaded the striker's boot and the ball went out for a goal kick.

After 10 minutes Totton got a free kick 25 yards from goal out wide on the left. Ryan Hill whipped the ball into the box but Sherborne's header was over the bar and landed on the roof of the net. Michael Charles then did well to get in front of his marker to meet Jon Davies' cross with a header that went high and wide. After a couple more chances for both sides, the breakthrough finally came after 24 minutes when Totton were awarded a penalty. Mike Gosney (who else?) despatched the spot kick for his 8th goal in all competitions this season.

Soon after the penalty Totton came close to a second. Matt Oldring, who scored his first goal for The Stags in the 4-3 win at St Albans during the week, ran forward with the ball and, with no other options in front of him, unleashed a powerful shot from 25 yards that sailed just inches over the crossbar. Oldring was involved again just after the half-hour mark when his cross found Gosney in the box but his shot was wide of goal. Moments later goalscorer Gosney turned provider when Sherborne latched onto his low driven cross to fire a rasping shot past Bayliss in the Fleet goal from the edge of the box.

Half time: AFC Totton 2-0 Fleet Town

With 7 minutes gone in the second half, Gosney almost got himself a second goal in bizarre fashion when his cross from the left hit the crossbar and went over for a goal kick. 2 minutes later Gosney set up Davies 12 yards out but he couldn't connect properly with the ball and ended up slicing his shot well wide of goal. Gosney continued to set up plenty of Totton chances and on 73 minutes his low cross towards Sherborne was intercepted by a Fleet defender who nearly scored an own goal when he deflected the ball just wide.

Substitute Mark Osman then put Gosney through on goal and he drew a smart save from Bayliss as he turned the ball around the post. From the resulting corner Nathan Campbell rose highest to head the ball just over the bar. A minute later, Campbell headed over the bar again after good work by Carl Pettefer and Ryan Hill down the right wing.

With 7 minutes remaining Fleet could have given themselves a late lifeline when a shot from distance was headed off the line by Ryan Hill. And with 2 minutes to go, substitute Aidan Lewis came close to getting his first goal of the season when he ran onto Gosney's cross but he could only shoot over from close range with just Bayliss to beat.

Full time: AFC Totton 2-0 Fleet Town

A professional display from Totton who scored 2 goals in 11 first half minutes and then saw the game out comfortably whilst still creating plenty of chances to score, and were it not for Fleet goalkeeper Andy Bayliss and some wayward finishing from the home side, it could have been a much heavier defeat for The Blues. After this win, Totton were drawn away to Clevedon Town in the next round of the FA Cup. Clevedon's record against Totton in the South & West Division last season was a 2-2 draw and a 1-0 win, so this is by no means an easy tie for The Stags. It will be played on Saturday 1st October, 3pm at the Hand Stadium, Clevedon. But before that, we entertain Hitchin Town at the Testwood Stadium on Saturday 24th September for a 3pm kickoff.

AFC Totton: Porter, Hill, Richardson, Whisken, Oldring, Davies (Lewis 90), Pettefer, Campbell, Gosney, Sherborne (Coutts 90), Charles (Osman 71). Unused subs: Casey, Baddeley, Tomasso, Abe.

Fleet Town: Bayliss, Rousell, Hutchings, Riddell, Wilson, George (Wynter 65), Pilgrim, Davis, Knowles (Fairless 65), Odeh, King (Campbell 84). Unused subs: Smalley, Walker.

Goals: AFC Totton: Gosney (24 penalty), Sherborne (35).

Officials: Referee: Mr C Wade. Assistants: Mr A Linford & Mr J Rake.

Attendance: 394.

No comments:

Post a Comment